In The Kitchen With Hirsch’s And Elba. The latest kitchen capers event saw Margaret Hirsch and Ramola Makan cooking up a storm with the Elba Gas appliances. Where they quickly cooked up a gourmet butter chicken curry served three ways and a delicious Soji pudding with all of the trimmings.
Ramola and Margaret have been lucky enough to have been cooking with each other for fourty years. Both with tons of cooking experience the duo easily put together a spread fit for a king. Ramola impressed the virtual audience with her vast knowledge of Indian flavours and techniques. Where Margaret gave her tips on how to recreate these delicious meals with plant-based ingredients.
Butter Chicken Recipe
- 500 g chicken fillet cut into pieces
- 1 Tbsp Chilli powder
- 5ml garam masala
- 10ml garlic
- 5ml methi seeds crushed
- Salt to taste
- 100g ghee/butter
- 5 to 6 tomatoes liquidized
- 2,5ml egg yellow food colouring
- 125-150 ml fresh cream
- Freshly chopped coriander
1. Marinate the chicken in spices and salt.
2. Then In a heavy-based saucepan, heat ghee/butter until melted.
3. Add marinated chicken and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
4. Next Add the tomato and cook for a further 5 minutes.
5. Add colouring and cream, then lower the heat, and cook for a further 10 minutes.
6. Then Garnish with freshly chopped coriander and serve with rice or naan bread.
Jeera Rice Recipe
- 250ml Basmati/Jasmine Rice
- 500ml Hot water for soaking
- 750ml Boiling water for cooking
- 5ml Cumin Seeds
- 5ml Salt
A dollop of butter
1. Firstly Soak rice in boiling water for 10-15mins.
2. Then drain the rice and in a large saucepan add hot water and bring to a boil.
3. Add the soaked, drained rice together with the jeera seeds and salt.
4. Then Cover and boil for 10 minutes or until
rice grains are firm to the touch.
5. Most of the water should be
6. Lastly Allow it to stand for 10 minutes. Drain off
any excess water.
7. Heat before serving
8. Garnish hot rice with a dollop of butter.
Cucumber and Pomegranate Raita
- 250ml grated English Cucumber
- 125ml Red Onion, finely chopped
- 5ml Cumin Seeds
- 2,5ml mustard
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- Salt and Sugar to Taste
- 200ml Thick Plain Yoghurt
- 125ml Pomegranate Seeds
Fresh mint leaves
1. Grate cucumber but remember to drain the excess water on
absorbent paper or roller towel.
2. Secondly peel and chop the red onion
3. Then In a separate bowl, add cucumber and
onions together with the rest of the
4. Next Gently fold in the yoghurt.
5. Lastly Sprinkle pomegranate seeds on top and
garnish with freshly chopped mint.
Carrot And Almond Soji Dessert
- 200ml melted ghee
- 250ml Taystee wheat/Semolina
- 100ml grated carrots
- 125ml Slivered almonds
- 500ml full cream milk, warmed
- 200 ml granulated sugar
- 5ml ground nutmeg
- 5ml ground elachie/cardamon
- Silvered and toasted almonds, Additional for final garnish
1. In a large saucepan, add ghee and allow to melt.
2. Then Add Semolina and gently toast until buffed in
3. Next Add grated carrot and sauté for 2 mins.
4. In a separate container heat the milk until warm so that it doesn’t stop the cooking process. Then Add to the carrot and semolina mixture and stir.
5. Then lower the heat and stir until combined.
6. Cover and cook over gentle heat for 3-5 minutes or until the milk is all absorbed.
7. Add sugar, stir in gently, and cover allowing it to cook for a further 3 minutes. Do not turn up the heat because the sugar will burn.
6. Garnish with freshly ground nutmeg and cardamom and finally finish off with silvered almonds.
7. Lightly grease a mold of your choice with butter/ghee or spray and cook so that the pudding wont stick
8. Place warm Soji mixture into greased mould and press down firmly so that it is packed tightly.
9. Allow to set. De-mold onto a platter, garnish and serve with ice cream or fresh cream.
For a richer pudding, use 250ml Full cream milk and 250ml fresh cream therefore adding a creamy rich texture.