After the recent heavy rains caused significant flooding in Durban and in the KZN, many home and business owners may find themselves dealing with damp, soggy buildings and furnishings and wondering how to dry a flooded house.
According to disaster recovery experts, the important thing to consider before going into a building after a flood is safety. If you had a significant amount of water, then you should call a qualified electrician to check whether the connection is safe.
Homeowners and tenants should be aware that if flood water comes from a river, it could contain contaminated water. Bacterial content isn’t necessarily an issue, but it could be. Surfaces can be disinfected with a solution of one part bleach to nine parts water.
Once The Water Has Subsided
Once a flood has subsided, the house must be dried out as quickly as possible as mould will start to grow within 48 to 72 hours. Carpets, pads and furniture that were submerged should be removed and drywall that was soaked should be cut out and discarded.
Another method that is faster and more effective when trying to find out how to dry a flooded house is to use a dehumidifier.
Dehumidifiers are used to remove deeply embedded moisture – even from wooden furniture!
And while it is helpful to leave windows and doors open when using fans to dry out a building, they should be kept closed when using a dehumidifier. If humid outdoor air is allowed to enter the home, the dehumidifier will be fighting against the relative humidity outside. A dehumidifier in a closed room can reduce the relative humidity.
If a house is not dried out quickly enough and mould begins to grow, the owner should take steps to eliminate it. You will need to physically remove the mould by scrubbing it off.
Stay alert for mould or any signs or odours indicating the presence of mould. When in doubt, get a mould expert to test your home for the presence of mould.
Stay tuned to our blog for exciting recipes, networking sessions, product knowledge and much more