Forget having to make just a few pieces of French toast at a time. With our French Toast Loaf with Candied Pecans & Tangy Soy Mushrooms, you just mix, bake and, when it comes out of the oven, all it needs is a drizzle of warmed syrup and everybody gets to eat together!
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package of instant yeast (10g)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups dairy-free milk (We used oat milk)
- 1/4 cup caramel syrup
- 3/4 cup honey/soy mushrooms
For coffee filling
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1/3 cup brown
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp ground freeze-dried coffee
- 1/2 cup optional bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup pecan nuts
- Attach the bread hook to the Bosch MUM 5 mixer, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together 3 1/2 cups
of flour, yeast, and salt.
- Add dairy-free milk, melted margarine, honey soy mushrooms, and caramel
syrup. Set the MUM mixer on 2 increasing to three, and fold until mostly combined. Sprinkle a
little more flour if needed and form a ball.
- Once the ball is formed, grease the same bowl mixed in and place the dough ball back into the
- Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let sit for 60-90 minutes in a warm, draft-free place until
For the filling
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a small bowl combine the softened margarine, sugars and coffee powder together.
- Once risen, lightly flour a surface and roll the dough out until it’s approximately a 12×15 rectangle.
- Brush the coffee filling across the entire surface, and sprinkle on the bread crumbs and pecans.
- Starting on one side, roll the dough into a log. Cut the log lengthwise carefully so there are
two long pieces.
- Starting at one end, pinch the ends together and then braid the two pieces together and pinch
together again at the end.
- Carefully place in a well-greased loaf pan. If your loaf is not at the top of your pan, cover it and
let it rise until it is. If it is, proceed with baking. Brush with extra coffee filling, and decorate with
some crushed pecans.
- Place in oven for 35-40 minutes or until done. Let it cool in the pan before removing and
slicing to serve!
- Serve your French Toast Loaf
For the honey soy mushrooms
- Saute 1-2 cups diced button mushrooms in olive oil.
- Add in 1/4 cup honey and soy sauce and simmer until sticky, let it cool before adding to the