The ultimate braided bread recipe that’s perfect for any occasion. Made easy using the Smeg Hand Mixer, this light and fluffy Salted Walnut & Pesto Braided Bread is sure to impress with its delicious flavour and beautiful presentation.
Bread Dough (makes 6 servings)
- 400g white or whole wheat flour
- 240ml lukewarm water
- 55g grated cheese
- 3tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 10g instant yeast
- 10g salt
- 200g fresh basil pesto
- 60g shelled walnuts, chopped
- In a large bowl add flour, grated cheese, instant yeast, salt, oil and water then, using your Smeg hand mixer (with the dough hook attachments) on the lowest speed, knead for about 7 minutes. Increase speed slightly until the dough is smooth, elastic and pulls away from the side of the bowl. You want the dough to bounce back when you press your finger into it.
- Form the dough into a ball. Rub a little olive oil around the sides of a clean bowl and roll the dough around to cover it. Place a clean towel or plastic wrap over the bowl and place it in a warm spot. Allow the dough to rise till it’s doubled in size, about 30 min.
- Once the dough is rested, on a floured work surface, roll the dough into a rectangle about 40x50cm.
- Spread the pesto on half the dough, sprinkle over the nuts and seal the edges well. Cut strips about 1.5cm down the short side. Using three strips, form the braids and place them onto a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Brush the braids with egg wash and bake in a static oven at 180°C for 20/25 minutes or until golden brown on top and cooked through. Allow to cool before slicing and serving.
- Serve & Enjoy your Salted Walnut & Pesto Braided Bread