Nothing compares to a hot apple pie right out of the oven, especially when it’s made the Italian way with extra almonds and amaretti cookies. This delectable apple pie recipe is pleasure on a platter and is quick and simple to make with your Smeg Hand Mixer.
Pie Dough (12 servings/for a 26 cm mould)
- 340g of white flour
- Cubed 200g cold butter,
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 7 tablespoons of ice water
- 1 kilogram of cubed and peeled Granny Smith apples
- 200 g almonds
- 150 g crumbled amaretti cookies
- Brown sugar, 80g
- Juice of one fresh lemon
- 3tsp cinnamon
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 1tbsp butter
Add cubed apples with lemon juice, brown sugar and cinnamon to a bowl, using your hands to toss the mixture and coat the apples well. Set aside at room temperature.
In a large bowl, add the flour, butter and sugar. Using your Smeg hand mixer (with the Optimus beater attachments) mix at a low speed until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Then, gradually add the ice water and continue working until the dough is formed.
Remove dough from the bowl and place it in a mound on a clean surface. Work the dough just enough to form a ball. Cut the ball in half then form each half into discs. Wrap each disc in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 min.
- Lightly flour a clean surface and roll out the first half of the pie dough. To prevent the dough from sticking and to ensure uniform thickness, roll from the centre of the dough outwards and keep lifting up and turning the dough a quarter turn as you roll. Roll out to a thickness of about 4 mm and coat a 26 cm apple pie baking tray. (Check the correct size by inverting the pie dish over the dough – it should be about 5 cm larger than the dish).
- Be careful not to stretch it, place the dough into the pie dish and then trim overhanging dough. Pierce the bottom all over with a fork and set it aside in the refrigerator.
- Roll out the second half of the dough to a similar size as before and transfer it to a large parchment-lined baking sheet and set it aside in the refrigerator.
Finish The Filling
- To finish the apple filling, add the flour, almonds and the crumbled amaretti biscuits and toss well.
- To assemble your pie, pour the apple filling into the prepared bottom crust and spread it evenly with a spatula so that the apple filling is mounded at the same height.
- Cut a tablespoon of butter into 8 or so small pieces and dot them over the pie filling.
- Using the second half of the prepared dough, cover the apple filling and cut a few slits in the top of the crust using a sharp knife to allow steam to vent.
- Press the edges of the pie base and top together or crimp it with your fingers (or use a fork).
- Brush with milk and egg, sprinkle with sugar and bake at 180°C for 60 minutes.
- Once cooled (at least 30 min) slice and serve with a generous dollop of ice cream or a drizzle of cream and enjoy your Italian Amaretti Apple Pie.