Celebrating World Bread Day with a Perfect Basic Bread Recipe
World Bread Day is the perfect occasion to pay homage to one of the world’s oldest and most beloved foods – bread. There’s something truly special about the smell of fresh bread wafting through the house, and there’s nothing quite like the taste of a warm slice with a pat of butter, a dollop of jam, or a slice of cheese. To celebrate this global culinary treasure, we’re sharing a classic and foolproof recipe for Basic Bread that’s perfect for both beginners and experienced bakers. This recipe yields two delightful loaves of bread, so there’s plenty to share with loved ones.
- 625 ml tepid water
- 20 g dried yeast
- 30 ml honey
- 500 g strong wheat bread flour
- 500 g semolina or wheat cake flour
- 30 g salt
- 90 ml olive oil
- Preheat and Prep: Start by preheating your oven to 225°C and placing the oven shelf on the top position (position 1). Additionally, fill a 800 ml water reservoir in your oven to create steam, which will give your bread a lovely crust. Grease two loaf pans with a little oil and dust them with flour to prevent sticking.
- Activate the Yeast: In a mixing bowl, combine 625 ml tepid water, dried yeast, and honey. Make sure that the honey and yeast have fully dissolved. Allow this mixture to sit for a few minutes until it becomes frothy.
- Mix the Dry Ingredients: In a separate large bowl, mix the bread flour, semolina or wheat cake flour, and salt. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- Combine the Wet and Dry: Pour half of the yeast and honey mixture and the olive oil into the well you created in the dry ingredients. Begin to mix using circular motions.
- Incorporate the Rest: Gradually add the remaining yeast and honey mixture and continue to mix until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Knead the Dough: Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it for about 10 minutes until it becomes elastic. To knead, pull the dough forward and up with your fingers while pressing down with the heel of your hand.
- Form the Dough: Shape the dough into a ball and make a large cross-shaped cut on top.
- Prove the Dough: Cover the dough and allow it to rise in a warm place for about an hour or until it doubles in size.
- Knock Back the Dough: After the first proving, knock the dough back by kneading it for about 1 minute.
- Final Knead: Add the olive oil and knead for another minute to fully incorporate the oil into the dough.
- Divide and Shape: Divide the dough in half and place each half into your prepared loaf pans. Score the tops with a sharp knife.
- Bake: Place the pans in your preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes. The loaves are ready when they sound hollow when tapped on the underside.
- Enjoy: Allow the bread to cool on a wire rack. Once cooled, slice, and serve with your favorite spreads, be it butter, jam, honey, shredded biltong, or cheese.
Equipment You’ll Need:
- Measuring spoons and jug
- Sharp knife
- Bread knife
- Mixing bowls
- Spoon and spatula
- Cutting board
- Plastic wrap
- Dish towel
- Baking tins
- Cooling rack
- Oven gloves
With this Basic Bread recipe, you can celebrate the joy of bread baking on World Bread Day and any other day you desire fresh, homemade loaves straight from your oven. Enjoy the warm, comforting aroma and the delightful taste of your very own bread creation.
Check out more of our amazing recipes here!
Shop our amazing products here!