Mushrooms make a great meal and combined with barley make a risotto with a difference; a plus is that it’s baked in the oven, cutting outstanding time at a stove.
- 1 small red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 45 ml olive oil
- 375 ml pearl barley
- 60 ml pine nuts, (optional)
- 200 ml dry white wine (optional)
- 500 ml boiling vegetable stock
- 300 g white or portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 25 ml fresh chopped oregano or 10 ml dried oregano
- 25 ml fresh chopped parsley or 10 ml dried parsley
- Juice and rind of 1 lemon
- 80 ml grated Parmesan cheese
- Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil until translucent, then add barley and pine nuts and cook until barley is glazed.
2. Stir in wine, stock, mushrooms, oregano and parsley and transfer to a deep baking dish.
3. Cover dish and bake at 180ºC/160ºC fan/Gas mark4 for 1 hour – 1½ hours until barley is soft and moist – add extra stock during cooking if on the dry side.
4. Add lemon rind and juice and stir in Parmesan cheese. Top with extra, chopped oregano and a drizzle of olive oil if desired.
5. Serve with a green salad or steamed green beans.